Pages

04 May 2013

Armadillo Tag & the Parking Lot Challenge

Week 7: Day Three
I started my workout in the afternoon with some cardio and a deep stretch after my final exams so I was already a little warmed up when I went to the gym later on.  We started the early class with some QM (quadrupedal movement), lunges and sprints then worked on some more rolling technique and instinct.  I had become a great example for the class all week... sometimes you have to bail and you want your body to instinctively roll in whichever direction is necessary/most efficient, explains my instructor.  You don’t say? I’m not going to name names or anything.  Thanks, guys.

We set up a course where we had to roll under, over, and around different obstacles across the gym.  Only rolls.  I was so dizzy by the end.  We did this a couple of times before moving on to the excitement that is armadillo tag.  What is armadillo tag, you ask? It is a game of tag in a room full of obstacles in which you can only move as an armadillo.  The rules of armadillo movement: for every two steps of QM, do a roll.  Not only were we crawling and rolling around the floor trying to quickly get away from whoever was it, we also had to avoid or get over/under/through our obstacles and watch out for the other armadillos.  It was hilarious and surprisingly tiring.

After armadillo tag, we moved downstairs and set up a bunch of obstacles before deciding we actually wanted to train outside.  We’re really good at making decisions.  T took off running across the street so I followed with the rest of the crew behind.  We made it to a library around the corner but decided there wasn’t enough room for us so we took off again towards a nearby apartment complex with a big raised parking lot.  When we got to the lot, they had a lot of those big stone barriers around the edges so we ran along them towards the edge, climbed down to the other side, back up to the barriers, ran along, climbed down and back up again, and then arrived at a little collection of barriers where we played with vaults for a little while.  T told us he had a challenge for us whenever we stopped doing vaults.  Everyone tried to keep doing vaults for as long as possible.

Finally he made us stop and take his challenge.  The challenge? Jumping all the way down the parking lot using the lines of the parking spaces.  We literally jumped the entire parking lot, parking space to parking space.  I always made it just barely within the next line.  My legs are in so much pain today that I actually looked up the average size of a parking space.  7.5-9.5 ft. wide.  I guess my max distance is just within that.  When I got to the other side of the lot, landed my last jump, I lay down and panted on the pavement for a few minutes.

Come on guys, let’s go.  T had been done for a while and was ready for the next spot.  We took off again, and I worried my legs were going to melt underneath me.  I kept pace with the guys at the front, surprising myself, but eventually had to slow down for a minute before pushing to the finish to make a traffic light.  We got to a new area and T started walking down a rail.  Oh, finally we get to rest and just walk along a rail.  My legs thought differently.  I literally couldn’t even get my balance standing on the rail for a few minutes.  It was a major struggle.  They were complete jello.  I finally hit a rhythm and ran down the rest of the rail before my legs decided to give out, and I found myself in a sort of courtyard.  GRASSSomething that won’t hurt me if I land on it or roll around in it.  I tried to do a little tumbling but my body was so tired I was limited to a few handsprings, cartwheels, and handstands.

After a little playtime, we had one more challenge on a wall nearby and then we walked back to the gym.  I tried to get a good stretch in before heading home but even that was a struggle.  I was ready to collapse in my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment