Pages

01 June 2013

Weirdness & Willpower

Week 11: Day Three
I cannot get enough of parkour right now.  It’s so hot that I’m sweating just sitting here and I’m still looking forward to training.  Now that’s love.  Anyways, we had another really fun and awkward session Thursday night.  We started with QM up and down rails which is pretty difficult.  Every tiny little stabilizing muscle is working to keep you up there.  A lot more tiring than it looks.  In between working on downwards rail QM, I played mirror with T.  I was proud of myself for being able to keep up (for the most part) because he has like... several years on me when it comes to balance.  Mirror on a rail is great because you're focused on what the other person is doing while also trying to keep your balance.

After a little while, we took a break from balance to work on landings from a staircase.  We moved up each step, jumping off and working on a good, soft and quiet landing.  Someone made a joke about jumping over each other so we could all fit on the stairs at the same time.  Note to self: don’t make jokes like that around T.  He’ll take it as a challenge.  As I’m standing on one of the stairs, facing away from T (thank God), R tells me not to move.  And then a flying T comes into my line of vision from above and he lands in front of me.  He actually jumped over me, standing straight up, from the top of the stairs.  Thanks for not killing me, T.  One of the guys leans over, he was pretty close.  It’s a good thing I wasn’t looking at him when he jumped.  I really don’t want to know how close he was to my head.

After landings, we went back to balancing on the rails in different ways.  I played around with it, testing my comfort.  One foot.  Two feet.  Twisting side to side.  Jumping up and down.  Walking forwards.  Walking backwards.  Squats on the rail.  Pistol squats on the rail.  I even pulled a scorpion for a minute before falling.

After that, we headed to a different spot where we had a balance challenge with the class.  We each had to pick a challenging position on the rail to balance in for as long as we could.  Last one standing got to pick the reward.  I decided to hold a plank on the rail (a lot harder than I thought... which seems to be a trend with me).  I was one of the last two standing until I tried to shift my weight and my foot slipped.  Oh well, I still held it for a while.  The reward from our winner? Burpees on the top of a nearby wall.  Then R got creative and had us do burpees down the stairs.  I actually really liked this exercise.  It was definitely not easy, but it was different and interesting.  I embraced the weirdness.

Because working out for two hours is never enough, R made us sprint back to the gym.  I might have wanted to collapse.  Just a little.  We did some partner stretching which was a bit of a challenge considering we were dripping sweat thanks to the weather, and covered in dirt from doing rolls earlier.  M and I could barely hold on to each other to stretch.  We needed to be hosed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment