Pages

14 June 2014

I'll Never Grow Up!

Week 69

What an awesome morning! I finally got to move around after such a long week. I have so much going on right now so I haven't had much time for training. My body (and mind) start to get really upset with me when I don't move around enough. I get restless and anxious. I need to move. I need to play.

Lucky for me, I have lots of friends who feel the same way! This morning, I headed out to Anacostia Park with a few of the girls to jump around and climb on things. The park just got some new workout equipment there which I was completely fascinated by because the machines operate on your own weight. Like the seat moves up as you move the bars with your arms... I don't know how to explain it. But it was really cool. Anyways...

The best part about this park is the giant pirate-ship-shaped playground in the middle. I'm not kidding. This thing was awesome. We did all sorts of challenges on the pirate ship like precisions around the ship, balance/climbing challenges, and QM-ing down the climbing walls along the sides. We also attempted to QM backwards back up the side of the ship but... well... it didn't go very well. I made it one or two steps and then went for the next hand grip and went head first into the ground. Don't worry, I did a sweet ninja side roll so I didn't get hurt.

Naturally, the main challenge in our minds was getting to the top of the mast of the ship to sit in the basket. This was until we realized that climbing a large pole Mulan-style is actually quite difficult. I did manage to make it up to one of the sails though.





It looks like it was built for climbing, but once I got up there it felt like I was on a real ship because the mast started swaying with the wind. Time to get down...

We kept playing around and we were about to head over to the grass to do some gymnastics-y stuff when this little kid (9) looks at us and goes, "wanna race?" Can't say no to that. We raced him and his brother (6) around the pirate ship and did some cartwheels and handstands with them. They were pretty awesome. The little one was hanging upside down on a bar after we helped him get up to it, and he goes "LOOK! I'M SPIDERMAN!" Pretty much made my morning.

I felt like Peter Pan running around on the pirate ship with my friends and finding new challenges. The kids kept giving us jump challenges or things to climb up to. It was a lot of fun. Just what I needed to de-stress and relax my mind a bit: a pirate ship and some awesome people. You're never too old to play on the playground!

Sometimes I think I'm a mermaid...

No comments:

Post a Comment