Pages

09 November 2013

Parkour and Dancercising: A Good Week

Week 33
What a great training week! Women's parkour meetup last Saturday, workout with my best friend on Jump Day, and training at APK on Thursday and Friday.

The meetup was great.  The group changes a little each time with newcomers and regulars getting to know each other and exploring their creative side with movement.  We had a small group last weekend, but the weather was beautiful and the girls were excited and determined so we had a great workout.  I really look forward to these meetups every month.  Just getting together with a group of kick-ass women, jumping around in the park and learning new ways to move.  Hopefully we can keep it up through the cold winter months of hibernation!

After the meetup last weekend, M, K and I went back to the gym to drop off some of the equipment they let us borrow (precision trainers and medicine balls).  There were a few people hanging out, listening to dance music at a normal volume and relaxing in between classes.  Naturally, we turned up the music and initiated a dance party.  Dancercising.  The best kind of exercise.  You simply make a fist with each hand, throw both hands in the air, and run around like a crazy person.  Flailing your arms adds to the experience.  Hip thrusting is encouraged.  Just a normal Saturday.

I was so energized after that, I went for a mini parkour run around the Capitol when I got home.  And the highlight of that run... I was walking across these little poles when a couple walked by and yelled, "hardcore parkour!"

Later in the week, on Jump Day, I went to my university's gym with my best friend, L.  She's trying to get into a regular fitness routine and I was happy to serve as a workout buddy.  Even if it means being in a "normal" gym.  Of course, I avoided normalcy by going into the padded wrestling room where I can get away with more parkour/gymnastics-styled workouts.

Last night, I finished up the week by making a delicious (and healthy!) home-cooked meal with my roommates then heading over to open gym at Primal.  We did some playing, flips and tricks, and a lot of handstands.  I'm still trying to get my one-handed handstand.  So much time upside down.

We also had another dance party.  Obviously.  I'm not energetic enough (thanks, Grad school) to actually go out dancing so spontaneous parkour dance parties and car dancing have been my substitutes... don't judge.  You wish you were that cool.

All in all, a great week.  Fitness-wise, anyways.  I'm currently drowning in schoolwork until Thanksgiving so any time I get at the gym is a relief.  Not just for the physical fitness part of it, but also the social aspect.  I may be biased, but most people I know who train parkour are pretty awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment