Pages

22 October 2013

That's just the warm-up...?

Week 32: Day One
I had a really great day and I was full of energy when I got home yesterday so, naturally, I was excited to get to the gym and expend said energy.  Which I did, about ten times over.

I'm not sure if I missed something before I got there (a reason for being punished) but our "warm-up" for the night was 25 wall runs.  Let me repeat that.  The warm up was 25 wall runs.  Now for my non-parkour readers, I want you to picture yourself running towards an 8ft. wall, running up the wall, and climbing your way on top of it.  Or look at this picture...



Now do that twenty five times.  Oh and throw in a few vaults and varying speeds before getting up the wall every couple of rounds.

As I rested briefly in between turns, I cursed myself for not running more regularly.  I tried to focus on catching my breath and prepare for each turn with determination.  I will finish this warm up.  I will get on top of that box.  I will not give up.  And even though about halfway through I thought I'd keel over  due to my lack of cardio, I finished with everyone else and only missed one thanks to poor foot placement.  Not only did I finish, but I didn't use my knees or elbows once.  I muscled that shit up.

I was so caught up and focused on completing the warm up that I didn't even realize what an accomplishment it was when I finished.  Not until P came up to me, gave me a high-five and was like You just did 25 wall runs, and you only missed one.  Four months ago, you couldn't even get on top of that thing.  I managed a thank you in between panting and drinking water but it felt really great to have someone notice and point out the progress I've made... more than that, to congratulate me on pushing so hard and getting somewhere.

Feeling pretty damn good, I prepared myself for the rest of class.  Next exercise: one minute of continuous movement on the obstacle course.  And if it wasn't your turn... Cindys (it's a cross-fit thing) (5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats).  Some people were beasting out and doing a Cindy per minute as each person went on the course.  I decided to try to stay conscious and did a Cindy every other minute... or so.  Okay, three in total.  But I still felt pretty good about that after adding it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment