Pages

03 October 2013

No Excuses

Apologies for neglecting my blog for the last month or so.  Due to a number of mishaps, I've been out of training for longer than I'm used to.  But I'm getting back to it, thank goodness.  It started the week before last when K and I got home and we were doing the whole it'sbeenalongweek=sweatpants+bed+mindlessactivity+food game when M started bouncing around the house yelling I'm going to go jump around! Are you coming?? I'm leaving in ten minutes! Get up! We're going to jump! Get up!

You can't really argue with that... No really, we tried.  No excuses would be accepted.

Giving into her energy, we threw on some sweats and headed over to a nearby building with fun things to jump on and interesting levels to experiment with.  It was a great session for me because even though I was tired and not at my usual 110%, I wasn't training to master a new skill or push myself too hard.  I was just there to get out of the house and move.  I felt perfectly free that day, something I hadn't felt in a while.  There was one beautiful moment when I had just finished a challenge, I stood up and looked around and thought what should I play on next? as if everything around us had been built as our playground.

Since then, I've slowly started getting back in shape.  A concept that is very different depending on who you talk to, I've noticed.  To me, that means getting back to my normal level, and then continuing to push myself further.  When I talk to N or V who are training for upcoming races (because they're awesome like that) or my other fitness-obsessed friends, they understand what being "in shape" means to me.  They understand that right now I'm less than my best self and I want to be better.

When I mention  it to someone who's not as fitness-oriented, they roll their eyes and mutter something along the lines of stop it, you look fine.  I could write a novel about how much this statement bothers me but I'll settle for a few lines.  There is a monumental difference between looking good and actually being fit.  Just because my butt looks good in these jeans, or I don't have a gut does not somehow magically result in me being in shape.  Some people just have good jeans... good genes.  Hmm...  The point is, I don't want to look "fine" or skinny or any of that nonsense.  I want to look fit.  I want to be strong and healthy.  I want to feel good.

I'm not usually one to make excuses, but after life kicking me in the face for a few weeks I gave in to weakness.  I guess everyone has their moments.  But M was so intent on getting us out the door that day.  And thank goodness for that.  I needed that little push.  That reminder that even if I wasn't as strong as usual, it was okay to just go outside and work on the little stuff as I gradually get my strength and my endurance back.  No excuses, play like a champion.  Or something like that..


More to come soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment