Pages

26 January 2014

Traveling Ninja: Miami Edition (2 of 2)

Part Two
Nothing makes me feel better than getting up early to workout along the beach. Palm trees, ocean breeze, hot sun, and sand beneath my feet. My paradise. I didn't even notice I didn't have my iPod with me on my run because I was so consumed in my surroundings and enjoying myself.

After my adventure on Thursday, I took a rest day on Friday to lay on the beach but I got back out Saturday morning for another parkour run. I took the same route this time but tried some different things. I did lunge walks and QM along the wall to warm up. Then, instead of running along the promenade like a normal person (who wants that?), I ran along the top of the wall (about thigh to chest high on me at different points). It is a great balance challenge, especially where it becomes as narrow as a balance beam in some places. As an old man said as he was walking by, "balance is very important! Keep working at it!" Thanks, old man.

I did the same jumps I played with on Thursday, creating a circuit and challenging myself in different ways. As I was working on precisions along the wall, two young women walked by and looked at me like I was crazy. I smiled, as I always do when people look at me like that. "That's very impressive!" they said. I laughed and managed a "thank you" in between breaths. Sometimes I forget how cool it is that we can do what we do. It's nice to be reminded every once in a while that I'm outside of the norm in some way. I think everyone needs that every now and then. It's easy to say, ehh I'm not that good when someone tells you you're awesome at x, y or z. But when you take a step back and think about all of the people who would never even try to do what you're doing, you might see things differently.

Okay, motivational speech over. Towards the end of my run, I stopped at one of the mini muscle beaches located along the promenade with a collection of gymnastics-y and basic workout equipment. I did some swinging on the monkey bars and then went over to the parallel bars to work on balance. I did a few sets of 10 rail squats and three 30-second squat holds on the rail with sets of 10 rows in between. Feeling tired enough, I headed across the street for a fresh smoothie. Tropical fruit and coconut water. Exactly what I needed after all that sun. Still in my gym clothes, I went in to order with a face as red as an apple and dripping with sweat. "Are you training for a marathon?" the cashier asked. Do I really look that exhausted? Nope, just a normal workout.

I got a few days. Sun, sand, ocean. Smoothies for breakfast and seafood for dinner. Nothing to do but run around, play, and lay on the beach. I feel relaxed and happy, and although I wouldn't say I was smiling when the plane touched down in DC, I guess it's time to get back to reality.

:)

Footprints in the sand. I had to, sorry.
Sunrise on my last day

No comments:

Post a Comment