Pages

20 July 2014

Jumping & Stair Torture: Training at the Park

Week 74: Training at Parc de Bercy

I'm absolutely loving my training routine here. One of the main parkour spots (as far as I can tell from online stalking) is at Bercy Park which is an easy 20ish minute walk from my apartment. I love the walk too because I get to stroll along the river and across one of the many beautiful bridges to get there. This week, I made it out there three times, including a 2.5 hour session yesterday morning.

I try to go pretty early in the morning 1) to avoid the heat and 2) to avoid the people. Although, as far as I can tell parkour is pretty normal here. In DC, people always stopped to stare or ask me what on earth I was doing. Or my favorite, please don't hurt yourself! Thanks, dear stranger. Here they yell Bon Courage! as they walk by and if people stop to watch or glance over as they walk by, it's more like they're watching a street artist doing what they love, not because they think I'm crazy.

Anyways, I had an awesome training session yesterday morning. I started with a little stair torture at one of the entrances to the park. There's one set of stairs there that has three flights with little platforms in between. So I went right grapevine, left grapevine, forwards on the way up and then backwards, right, left, on the way back down. After a few rounds of stair runs, I was feeling ready for my next challenge. Forwards QM down three flights (not terrible) and backwards QM up three flights of stairs (yes, terrible).

Feeling tired but warm, I headed over to the basketball court to work on balance along the fence and some vaults back and forth. I saw some older guys doing pull ups in a little corner of the court that I totally would have missed myself but now I have somewhere to work muscle-ups! Yay!

Next, I headed over to the parkour/skate park corner of the park. I worked on dive kongs for about 30 minutes on a concrete ping pong table. I couldn't quite get the distance--I kept tapping one foot at the end) so I'm putting that on my goal list. I felt my energy declining after this so I threw in a few balance squats, precision jumps in the fountain, and plank holds on the rails, and then I called it quits for the day.

I threw together a little video of my first few training sessions here in Paris... Nothing crazy, just my workout challenges & lots of jumping. I'm not that person with an expensive camera, hours of magical editing time/skills, and a long list of flips to show the world with dubstep in the background BUT I do want my non-parkour friends & family back home to see what I'm up to so... here you go! :)


2 comments:

  1. Hey there, can't seem to find the video embed (is that a noun."
    :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get it to work, Mum? I can send you a different version if it's not working for you!

      Delete