Pages

15 July 2014

Starting a New Routine

I'm finally starting to feel like I could live here. Not that I have a choice... I've already sort of committed but it's nice to know that feeling is there. I've had a few awesome early morning training sessions now and I'm really enjoying it here. The sun rises around 6am and even though I fight with my snooze button every time, my body usually wins when I feel how restless I am and how desperately I need to train to be my happy self. This morning was no different.

It was a perfect day. Sunny, warm, barely a cloud in the sky. I ran down to the quay to play. Across the street from my usual jumping spot there's a huge set of stairs perfect for torturing oneself via exercise. I did a couple of rounds of stair runs (forwards, backwards, grapevine left and right) and then decided I was done with cardio for the day. I'm such a baby when it comes to cardio. I'm working on it.

Next, I ran over the bridge and forgot I was there to workout as I gazed out at the colors of the early morning sun playing on the water. I turned around and saw some metal beams connecting the two foot bridges over the water. They were just begging to be climbed on, but there were too many people around at that point for me to quite pull it off, and I'm still trying to navigate what I'm allowed to play on in Paris without getting arrested. At least in the U.S. I could talk my way out of the crazy things I was doing when I trained. My French isn't quite good enough to argue with policemen so I'm trying to play it safe.

Sadly, I walked away from my metal bridge beams and jogged down to some steps to work on precisions and broad/box jumps. I did a little grip work on a nearby wall too. I would love to see the faces of the people walking by as I just hung there facing the wall doing absolutely nothing (my fingers were doing all the work). Maybe they thought I was meditating.

Tired from my cliffhanger practice, I ran along a little wall back to my original spot. Thanks to Bastille Day, this spot now looked like the aftermath of a pirate's party. It's like people just ran around smashing bottles on each other's heads while chain-smoking. I've never seen so much broken glass. It made for quite the obstacle course though... talk about motivation to stick your landing.

I did some cool 180 jumps and mostly focused on conditioning that didn't require me to move too much in the pirate's cove. I also did some cool strides/jumps on these nearby nautical stumps (I have no idea what these are actually called or used for). I was having way too much fun playing this morning and I almost forgot I had to leave for class (I intentionally ignored the clock on my phone). Realizing how late I was, I ran home and threw on some jeans and a tshirt and headed to class. Hopefully I'll get a longer training session soon but I'm loving these early morning workouts by the river. It's the best way to start your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment