Pages

07 April 2013

At least it looked cool...

Week 3: Day Three
Yesterday morning I went to the gym for a class and then open gym time.  It was mostly kids which threw me off at first but then I ended up really liking it.  It made it really fun and a little less intimidating.  But then some of them were better than me.  It's fine.

We did a fun warm up, played a game that helped us work on our balance, and then set up an obstacle course and played don't-touch-the-lava.  Woo!

Then it was time for open gym.  Pick something you want to work on, and work it.  I looked at T* (my instructor) - I wanna get on top of that, pointing to the tall box against the wall.  Ok, let's do it.  As I mentioned in my last post, top-outs are not my specialty at the moment.  Basically, you run towards a wall, use your foot to punch off/up enough to grab the lip with your hands and pull/push yourself on top of it.  For me, I struggle with a mix of getting the right momentum and just not having the strength yet.  Surprisingly, the first couple I did were the best ones.  I managed to hit at a good spot with a nice amount of power and then I wiggled my way up.  Enter lack of strength needed.

While I was working on these, I saw some of the guys working on kong vaults and kong to precision:


Don't worry, I was working on a baby version of the video above.  Basically, there were two boxes next to each other and I wanted to vault over the first one with my hands and land on the second one with my feet.  I played with it for a minute and told T what I was trying to accomplish.  That's great, go for it.  It wasn't one of those things I needed a step-by-step for, I kind of just had to feel it out and go for it.  (This is only because I already had the basics down.. please don't go out and try this thinking you have to just go for it and it'll work... it won't).

Surprisingly (to me, anyways), I got it after a couple more tries.  Hell yeah.  I even got a high-five from T.  It's cause I'm awesome.

Naturally, I wanted to keep working on it so I ran a couple more... and then I destroyed my hand.  I'm still trying to figure out how this happened, but basically I did the first part right, and then somehow I hit the second box with my feet, slammed my knees into it (I really don't know how I got my knees to hit the box) and all of a sudden I'm flying face first towards the ground.  Training, Adrienne, training.  You gotta roll.  So I went to put my hands down and roll, but my left hand decided to stay where I shoved it into the ground while my body rolled away from it.  Next thing I know I'm lying on the ground holding my hand cursing it for not cooperating with the rest of my body.  T came over to check on me.  Probably because I was still lying on the ground.  I guess it's a problem when you don't get back up.  I looked at him laughing a little and pointed to my body, this is all fine, and then pointed to my hand, this not so much.  Can you move it? I wiggle my fingers around a little and twirl my wrist.  Okay, we're good.  Let's go get some ice.

I stand on the sidelines for a bit icing my hand and being really irritated that I hurt myself.  Then one of the kids came running over - are you okay? Yeah, I'm good.  It looked really cool!! I started laughing.  Well, at least it looked cool.

I feel like I should say that it was my own fault I got hurt and nothing is broken, I'll be fine.  If anything, the fact that I knew to roll probably saved me from going head first into the ground.  My instructors are great, the gym is great, and I just got sloppy.  There's my disclaimer.

Accomplishments: a couple of pretty good top-outs and a baby monkey vault to precision
Things to work on: left hand must learn to coordinate with rest of body

*I usually use first initials rather than full names

No comments:

Post a Comment