Pages

11 April 2013

That awkward moment when Student Health is wrong

As you know, I jammed my four left fingers Saturday morning and was somewhat restricted for a few days because of it.  Who knew you needed both hands for so many things?  In an attempt to cover my bases, I went to my student health center (big mistake) who had me take some X-rays and then called me 1.5 days later to tell me everything was 100% fine and I'd feel better in a few days.  Oh yeah, student health?  My personal defense instructor felt differently.

I went to my defense class this afternoon and explained that I wouldn't be doing any left-handed punches today because I couldn't make a fist with that hand.  My teacher asked if she could look at my hand, felt around a bit and then told me she could fix it if I wanted to stay for a few minutes after class.  What do you mean you can fix my hand? Apparently I had jammed the ring finger and middle finger and some of the teeny tiny bones were out of place.  Conveniently, she knew how to un-jam fingers (definitely a useful skill to have... up there with popping dislocated limbs back in).  So I stayed after class and she massaged my fingers for like 15 minutes, moving things around, working through the inflammation, popping things back into place and ... Ta da!! All better.  15 minutes of massage and I was fixed.

Note to self: learn how to un-jam fingers and don't trust student health

No comments:

Post a Comment