Pages

03 April 2013

Because nobody actually likes going to the gym

Since I returned from India in late December, I’ve readjusted to American ease and comfort... and I’ve been really really bored. That sounds ridiculous, right? I mean, I should be relieved to be home and not face the daily challenges I was dealing with in India. But I can’t help it, I’m craving some more excitement, some way to push myself. I’m not satisfied with just coasting through work and school. So I started looking for new ways to fill this hole I’d developed since coming home. My answer? Parkour.

That’s just flipping and jumping around doing tricks, right? No, not really. Parkour is the discipline of moving through your environment and overcoming obstacles using only your body. Here's a fun video I found that covers some of the basics:



There’s a little debate about parkour vs. freerunning. I thought it was all the same thing when I started (and some will still tell you it is) but from what I can tell freerunning is much more about self-expression and that’s where all the flipping and tricking comes in. I'll focus on parkour for now.

Some of you may think doing parkour is crazier than going to India for four months. I wouldn’t blame you. It’s pretty crazy. It’s intense and incredibly challenging... and I can’t get enough of it. So why parkour, you ask? I mean seriously, who just wakes up and says hey I think I’m gonna start doing parkour today? Strangely enough, that’s exactly what happened to me. I didn’t hear about it from a friend or see an awesome Youtube video or anything. I was searching alternative fitness options, stumbled upon parkour and found out that one of the first parkour gyms in the world (APK Academy) is headquartered right here in DC at Primal Fitness, and I dropped in on a class.

The class I went to was working on balance and bars that day - something I hadn’t done in too many years to count. I was sore for at least a week after that class but when I left the gym that night, I was completely hooked.

I mean when was the last time you were super excited to go to the gym? I love being active and I still dread going to the gym sometimes. It gets pretty boring going on the machines, lifting weights, etc. As a gymnast/cheerleader by training, I’m more comfortable using my own body to workout with anyways which is what I love about parkour. It’s all about using your own body to develop strength and agility.

I signed up for the foundations class which is basically an introduction to parkour session that’s three times a week for a month. No, I won’t be a professional ninja by the time I’m done with it. But I’ve already learned a great set of skills for jumping, landing, rolling, climbing, etc. in the first two weeks (I'm in my third week). Now wherever I go, I’m looking at my surroundings and thinking how would I get over/under that or giving myself new challenges. I also spend a good chunk of my time reading about parkour and watching Youtube videos.

I think my friends are starting to get tired of my 24/7 obsession so I decided to express my excitement through this blog. Enjoy.

(This blog has nothing to do with the gym where I train or the people I train with. These are my own personal thoughts & experiences that I wanted to share)

No comments:

Post a Comment