Pages

25 April 2013

Awkward Movement and the Twinkle Toe Method

Week 6: Day One
It's killing me that I can't get to the gym more right now but I guess this whole school thing is kind of important.  Two more days of classes, a few final exams, and I will be free! For now.

We did a fun warm up in last night's early class.  Lots of different body movement and some fun exercises/challenges.  T had us lie down on our stomachs and get up without using our hands.  Then we had to lie on our backs, holding one foot, and try to get up without letting go of that foot.  That one was the easiest for me.  I just rolled forwards and pressed up with my free leg.  That was too easy for T so he wiggled around on the ground trying to find a more creative way to get up while everyone else tried to figure it out.

Once we were done with the warm up, we worked on hurdles.  It sounds relatively simple, but the way you have to bring your leg(s) out feels incredibly awkward.  I went through it so many times, and every single time I felt awkward.  Also, if you do it awkwardly enough then you look like a little girl frolicking through a meadow kicking her legs up.  It's pretty hilarious.  I was getting really frustrated with it because it just wasn't working for me.  Occasionally I got the right idea, but overall I just really didn't like them.  Clearly something to work on.

We wrapped up and moved downstairs for the late class.  Our choice was between barefoot training and ninja warrior training.  I'm really bad at making decisions so we did both.  There was a guy training with us who is participating in American Ninja Warrior so we worked out with him for most of the class.  First, we did quad steps.


If you watch the above video, you might have guessed that I was not crazy enough to try the stride method.  I was more eager to try to the unfortunately named "twinkle toe" method (that's not what they called it in our class).  It took a few tries to get past the first jump.  I wasn't hitting high enough on the second box so I had nowhere to go but down to the floor.  After realizing that's what I needed to change, I actually managed to make it through several times.  I know I always sound surprised when I say I accomplished something but a lot of these obstacles are really intimidating so yes, I am surprised when I make it through.  I'll work on that whole confidence thing.

Now that I felt like a badass for conquering the quad steps, I was ready to tackle our next obstacle: rope swings.  Basically, you need to be able to jump from a certain distance and catch the rope high enough so that you're not touching whatever is below you (ground, water, sharks, lava, etc.) I actually love rope climbing and swinging so this was really fun for me.  Until I managed to get rope burn on my forearm (why was I catching the rope with my forearm??)

We wrapped up with a little barefoot training (actually super comfortable) on some tall vaults and then stretched out and called it a night.

Accomplishments: quad steps
Things to work on: hurdles & making awkward movement less awkward

No comments:

Post a Comment