Pages

29 April 2013

Look Ma, No Hand!

Week 6: Day Two
The other night I was talking to one of the guys about my handstand-up-the-stairs challenge and he suggested starting small by using a precision trainer to start with.  So, in the open gym hour this weekend I grabbed a trainer, put it against the wall, and kicked up into a handstand.  I tried moving up and down, on and off the precision trainer leading with my left arm and then my right arm to see which felt better.  It was a struggle at first, but once I figured out that it felt better when my left arm went first, I could focus on the shifting of my hips and general body awareness.  I worked on this for the majority of open gym time, probably about 15 sets of 5 if up and down is one (that's a guesstimate).

At some point during this, I felt like I wasn't making enough progress and the thought that a one-handed handstand would help me was teasing me in the back of my mind.  I took a break from my precision up&downs and went over to T.  How do you do a one-handed handstand? It was so challenging and I had no idea where to start that I was already frustrated and felt like throwing a tantrum.  He came over to the wall to practice and figure it out with me.  Just to be clear, one-handed handstands are incredibly difficult.  And not just for normal people.  Even for people with insane strength and physical ability, this move can be extremely challenging because of the blend of strength and balance required.

We took turns trying it against the wall, experimenting with our legs at different distances, and with each arm.  I spread my legs a little more than shoulder width apart, moved my arms closer to my ears, and shifted my weight back and forth.  I lifted my right arm and put it at my stomach.  Holy shit.  I'm doing it.  I couldn't believe it.  I felt like a little kid, EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME, I'M DOING IT!!! (I didn't really yell that out... but I wanted to) It was against the wall, but still.  It was a huge accomplishment for me.  Naturally, I ran to get my phone and made T take a picture for me.  Photographic evidence:


I keep staring at this picture, trying to figure out what I did right and how I can transfer this handstand to a freestanding one-handed handstand.  The strange thing is I could do it on my left arm, but not my right even though I'm right-handed.  Also, most of the one-handed pictures I see on the internet show people with their legs basically in a straddle and totally crooked to balance out the weight.  This makes absolutely no sense to me because when I tried to spread my legs wider, it just threw me off completely.  I think it's also the gymnast in me that wants my legs to be straight up in the air when I nail this move.

I'm amazed with what I've been able to accomplish in the last six weeks.  Not only with this move, but with every move that pushes me as I continue learning.  I feel so much stronger already, physically and mentally.  And I always want more.  It's not about reaching a certain level, or being better than so-and-so.  It's about being the best version of me.  Setting my own goals for myself and then accomplishing them.

Next stop: free-standing one-handed & walking up the stairs on my hands

No comments:

Post a Comment